Can you name all the fruits that carry their seeds on the outside of their skin? Strawberries are the only one :).
Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in the spring. Though here, we can buy strawberry since end of December, but the price is very expensive, almost double than the price in season now.
My family is strawberry’s lovers,especially my daughter. During this season, she brings strawberry almost every day in her snack box and if she doesn’t, then strawberry juice or smoothies will be part of her lunch after school. That’s how she enjoys the strawberries. Too keep the juice and smoothies healthy, I didn’t put any sugar on but replace water with fresh orange juice which is abundantly available in Cyprus. To balance the sourness of low fat Greek Yogurt, I just put a little bit of honey.
It is always tempting to buy lost of strawberries when shopping, but since strawberries are very perishable, it’s a little bit tricky to store them. Here are the tips that I used to keep my strawberries fresh longer:
- Place the strawberries on a clean surface and sort through them to find the moldy ones. Mold spreads easily, so you should remove any moldy strawberries as soon as you buy them.
- Place the strawberries in a large bowl and wash them with mixture of water and vinegar. (1 cup of vinegar + 4 cups of water)
- Let the strawberry sit for a while (5-10 minutes)
- Drain the strawberry with colander then dried it with paper or cloth towels
- Place/store the washed and dried strawberry in a sealed container, leave the lid slightly open, or you can use the original plastic container but you have to wash and dry it first. I usually use some of small containers rather than one big container. With this way, usually strawberry could stay fresh for 4-7 days.
Even tough with the tips above we can store strawberry longer, but strawberries are best eaten on the day they are purchased. These are some ways on how we enjoy this red berry which are very high on fiber, Vitamin C and also have great antioxidant power.
- Eating fresh. It is a great snack for kids and adults
- Juice and smoothies (as mention above)
- As cake topping, such as Cotton Japanese cheese cake, lava cake or other cake, even for Ice cream. But we didn’t count it as eating fruit :).
- For salad, both with vegetables and other fruits.
Below are 2 strawberry salad recipes that we enjoyed often 🙂
Spinach Strawberry Salad with feta cheese (served for 4 )
4 cups fresh spinach
2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
½ cup feta cheese (cut in cubes, slices or crumble or whatever you like)
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
¼ teaspoon salt
How to :
Mix together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey and salt as a salad dressing.
Place the spinach, strawberries and feta cheese in large bowl and pour the dressing soon before you served/eat.
Strawberry and mint fruit salad
1 pack of strawberry, hulled and slices or cut in half ( 400-500 gram)
2 oranges (peeled, segment and cut in half)
2 apples (peeled, cored and cut into small chunks)
4 kiwi (peeled and cut in to small chunks)
Juice from 1 lemon
2 teaspoon honey
150 ml orange juice
Small bunch of mint (leaves finely chopped and some left for garnish)
How to :
Mix orange juice, lemon juice and honey until dissolves.
Arrange the fruits and chopped mint leaves in serving bowl, pour the dressing mixture, gently mix the fruit.
Arrange some mint leaves on the top as a garnish.
Served it directly or you can keep in the fridge until cool.
Oohh… I just realized that I haven’t any picture for this salad, but trust me it’s fresh and delectable :).