Lately, I find myself enjoy so much in baking bread. It started when we kind of bored with the local breads ( there are a lot of bakery shop here but they are mostly sell the same type of local/Cyprus breads) and craving for Asian style bread which are usually soft, fluffy, with a slightly sweet flavor and often stuffed or topped with a chocolate, cheese, banana, chicken floss or you can put anything you like :).
Bread is not part of staple foods in Indonesia and (most of country in Asia). It’s mostly eaten as snack or as a “tea time-cake”. Bread is the most common snack brought by children to school (for breakfast or “mid-daybreak” but not for lunch).
Since we are living in Nicosia, the only shop that sells this kind of Asian bread is only Marks & Spencer. We’ve bought that 2 -3 times but actually I’m not very happy, not because of the taste (the taste is fair – not too good and not too bad), not because of the price (the price is quite similar with local breads price – 4.5 Euro for 1 pack content 10 pieces), but my concern is this type of bread still looks quite ‘brand new’ even though had sit in the packaging for a long time :).
And yes I made it. Here is the soft sweet bread/bun recipe. It’s easy, you don’t need any mixer, or bread machine and no knead as well.
Ingredients : (for 20 – 22 pieces medium size bread)
450 gr all purpose flour (or bread flour)
75 gr butter
75 gr sugar
225 ml lukewarm milk
1 ¼ tsp instant yeast
½ tsp salt
Egg wash mixture : 1 egg yolk and 1 tbs milk.
Any topping or stuffing you like : chocolate, cheese, banana, tuna, etc. ( but I like plain too)
How to :
- Mix together lukewarm milk, instant yeast and 1 tsp sugar, allow to bubble and foam for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients in large bowl.
- Pour ½ of milk mixture, mix with your hand, add the remaining of milk mixture and again, mix with your hand until the dough comes together. It may slightly sticky but it’s ok. ( Tips : Do 3 minutes kneading for the best result, the dough will smooth and elastic)
- Place the dough into the greased bowl, cover with cling plastic or wet towel. Let it proof until it’s double in size or about 60 minutes.
- After proofing, divide the dough each 40 gram evenly and form into balls.
- Shape the ball into any shape you like and stuffed with any kind of stuffing you like. Place it into the baking sheet and again cover with cling plastic or wet towel and it rest for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degree Celsius.
- Soon before you put it into the oven, brush the dough with the egg mixture in order to create beautiful golden brown shiny bread after baking.
- Bake the bread at 200 degree Celsius for approximately 10-15 minutes (until golden brown and crusty on top).
This bread keeps well for 3 days if placed in resalable plastic bag or airtight plastic container or even for 1 week in the fridge. (I haven’t any experience to frozen it since it’s never last until 3 days :).